The Maimónides Biomedical Research Institute of Cordoba (IMIBIC) is a multidisciplinary health research centre in Spain, accredited at the national level. Its main building is part of the University of Cordoba campus. This technologically advanced research centre needed a new access system adapted to their specific, demanding needs.
- Ensure the security of very expensive equipment.
- A certified access management system able to protect all areas of the building without altering doors or other structures.
- A system that enables remote management and control of all access points in real time.
- The ability to issue timed access control permissions tailored to the needs, responsibilities and profile of every site user.
- A system, which can be deployed and/or extended quickly.
- Energy efficiency and compatibility with the electromagnetic equipment used throughout IMIBIC.
SMARTair® Wireless access control makes real-time facility management possible
To handle daily traffic of approximately 270 people, IMIBIC fitted the SMARTair® Wireless access control system to the centre’s interior and exterior doors. The same system comfortably manages much greater numbers of temporary visitors, when the Institute hosts external events.
A single wireless system protects the main entrance; radioactivity, cytometry and genomics labs; animal facilities; operating rooms; and other sensitive areas, where trustworthy access management is critical. Authorized staff can also access another IMIBIC facility, inside the Reina Sofia University Hospital, with their credential.
Because there’s no wiring, installation was fast and unobtrusive. Battery-powered devices are much more energy efficient than typical mains-powered access control systems. And there was no need for IMIBIC staff to swap their existing access cards, because SMARTair® is compatible with all major RFID technologies.
The powerful functionality of SMARTair® Online management enables facilities managers to admit staff remotely, from anywhere, should someone lose or forget their credential. Using the SMARTair® system software, a real-time overview of access system status is accessible at any time.
With two years’ use, and several fire drills successfully completed, SMARTair® has been thoroughly and tested in this demanding environment.
Click to download a PDF>>